Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Oh, E. O., It's Wednesday! (Tea Tree Essential Oil)

Last week my stepdaughter, Ally, and I were racking our brains trying to come up with some new and exciting essential oil soaps to add to this blog! We were plucking bottles of essential oils from my drawer and smelling them. We both turned our noses up at first smell of tea tree oil. How horrible on its own! I then started digging through my fragrance oil drawers for something to add to the tea tree oil to balance out the fragrance. Eureka! A perfectly blended essential oil soap (that has not yet been added to my Etsy shop, but I am going to share it with you today anyway).
                                         

So, stinky (by itself) tea tree oil was named by sailors back in the 18th century who believed it to smell like nutmeg. I'm not sure if my senses are screwed up, or if the olfactory glands were not as developed back then as they are today, but I don't smell the nutmeg. Anywho, it comes from a tea tree plant and is used for a huge laundry list of ailments. Essential oils are amazing that way. Tea tree oil can be used for acne, fungal infections, lice, scabies, athlete's foot, ringworm and is a natural antiseptic for burns, insect bites, stings, boils, cold sores, and much more. Another wonder oil to add to your first aid essential oil pack, right?

Drum roll, please. Here is the soap that we have all been waiting for:

Tea Tree & Tobacco scented Mango Butter Soap

Remember how I said that tea tree oil was good for acne? Well, here is a DIY recipe for Tea Tree Oil Toner that will help clear that up!

Tea Tree Oil Toner

Ingredients:
Spray Bottle
Distilled Water
Tea Tree Essential Oil
Lavender Essential Oil

Directions
Fill the spray bottle 3/4 full with distilled water. Add 10 drops of tea tree essential oil for every 25ml of water. Add 5 drops of lavender essential oil for every 25ml of water. Shake and spray onto skin (spot test first). Shake before each use. (for an extra punch, you can add a few drops of Witch Hazel - that acne wont stand a chance).

**Caution** Tea tree oil can cause dryness of skin. Lavender essential oil should not be used by anyone who is pregnant or attempting to become pregnant.

What do you use to get rid of that pesky acne? (P.S. I would really like to know!)


No comments:

Post a Comment